- Posted By Bruno Calfapietra
Changes will overall improve the relationship between tenants and landlords in regards to reducing disputes when it comes to repairs and maintenance, overall tenant security and protection along with improved transparency between the two parties.
The key changes will include:
- Rent Increases limited to once every 12 months
- Landlords must ensure smoke alarms are in working order, any replacements needed must be carried out by a licensed electrician.
- Tenant flexibility to adding fixtures, minor alterations and renovations.
- Non-payment of water usage and/or utility charges can now result in tenancy termination.
- Tenants have new rights in regards to breaking their lease.
- Granting tenants landlord contact information.
To find out more about these changes NSW Tenancy Laws please visit the NSW Fair Trading Website.